Thursday, November 12, 2009

Reflections on the Course

First I would like to thank Ms Goh for being such a good tutor, guiding us all the way through this tough but enjoyable module. Thank you for the valuable feedback you gave. I have learnt many things from her as well as from my fellow course-mates. I truly believe that the things I have learnt will aid me in surviving the “big and scary world” outside.

Through this course I have learnt how to communicate effectively. I have also learnt about the importance of non-verbal communication. I am more aware of my tone and my body language whenever I communicate with someone now. Writing the blog as part of the course has also taught me to be careful with my words, as the saying goes, “The pen is mightier than the sword”. I have learnt to put my points across effectively without being blunt and hurting others. This course also gave me opportunities to hone my presentation skills which I believe will be essential for my future work. Although I am far for being a good presenter, through the feedback from fellow course-mates and the video review, I became more conscious of my shortcomings and will seek to improve on them.

I have also learnt much about team-work. During the course of this module I had the privilege of working with Eileen and Jessica for the peer teaching as well as Danhua and Louie for the proposal. I would like to sincerely thank them for being such committed team-mates. I thoroughly enjoyed doing group work with you all and hope that we will have the opportunity to work together again. My teacher in Junior College once told me what TEAM stands for and I would like to share it with you all.

Together Everyone Achieves More

Although it may be tough to do projects and rush out proposals, they become considerably easier when you work in a team. “No man is an island”, so in my opinion being able to work well with others is biggest lesson I have learnt from this course.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Zhengyang,

    I reckon you've mentioned the keywords that wraps up this module nicely - "communicate effectively", "non-verbal communication", "presentation".

    3 months has passed so quickly but yet we've all achieved so much. As what you've briefly mentioned, effective communication comes in all sorts and this includes giving a good presentation delivery and applying the 7Cs to our written proposal. No one is perfect and so therefore, it is important that we learn to gather feedback from others and improve.

    Remember what comes after decoding and receiving of message? It's FEEDBACK! All of us have subconsciously communicated our views and ideas through blogs and presentations and get feedback on our performance. That's effective communication by itself.

    Till then, all the best in your future endeavours! See you around in class, coursemate! :D

    Cheers,
    Ariff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zheng Yang,

    Prior to this module, I believe many of us perceive communication as just verbal with little or no recognition of non-verbal communication. Through this course, all of us have learnt that surprisingly, it is the non-verbal communication which takes place more often than the verbal one. This brings us to the essence of body language which could speak louder than words. Hence, it is important to be conscious of our body language during the process of communication.

    Like you, I have also become more conscious of my tone and the use of words in the process of blogging. This would minimise chances of miscommunication which could in turn spark off undesirable consequences like conflicts.

    Hopefully, we would be able to extend all that we have learnt effectively in our daily interactions. :)

    Regards,
    Xin Wei

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zhengyang

    Working with you and Jessica in the peer teaching was a great experience.I would also like to thank you for guiding me as to how I should present myself during presentation. In addition, I feel that your oral presentation has improved compared to peer teaching.

    Like what Xin Wei had said, I always feel that communication is just the ability to talk, but now I learnt that non-verbal communication is equally important as they can convey different meaning with our expressions.

    Lastly, the 7cs that we were taught help us to be more concise,clear and polite in our writing.

    It is a pleasure knowing you and hope we will still keep in touch after this course has ended. Wish you all the best for upcoming exams.

    Regards
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zhengyang,

    "No man is an island", "the pen is mightier than the sword", "together everyone achieves more" - these pharases reflect to me your progress, your understandings and the benefits that you have gained through ES2007S.

    well we all know that in the working world, we have to interact and communicate with our co-workers, present our thoughts and ideas preciously. Communication, though sounds simple is a complicated process which has a long pathaway. If there were a confusion or misinterpretation at one point, it will totally change the meaning of the message to the intended receiver.

    I am glad that this course has streched your boundries further and enhanced your communication skills. I am sure these life skills would follow you a long way and will keep building up in the path. My best wishes for that and thank you for you comments and feedbacks! All the very best for your exams!

    Best
    Alagu :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ariff, Xin Wei, Eileen and Alagu,

    Thank you all for your comments. I have learnt a lot from your comments and I believe that I am a much better communicator after taking this course. Once again thank you all for being such wonderful blogging mates and coursemates. Hope to see you all around campus. All the best for your upcoming papers.

    Warmest regards,

    Zhengyang.

    ReplyDelete